Number of participants and length of workshop is flexible to suit your needs
This workshop is perfect for giving large numbers of people a solid, broad overview of working with the media. It can be tailored towards potential spokespeople, or to communications staff who are preparing spokespeople for interview. Depending on the brief, it will take participants through the 8 Universal News Values that journalists work by, the different types of interviews and what journalists need for each type, a structure for creating key messages and good technique for tricky questions.
Participants complete a variety of activities, including short interviews, with everyone else watching and contributing to the learning environment. A professional journalist (confidentiality assured) joins the group for these activities.
By the end of the session and depending on the brief, each participant will have:
- An understanding of what makes news and what motivates journalists
- Knowledge of different mediums, deadlines and needs
- A proven structure for creating key messages
- Tools, rules and techniques for talking in media-friendly ways
- A checklist for planning their next pitch or media interview
- A template for writing media releases and alerts
- An understanding of their own natural communication style
- Constructive feedback on their strengths and areas for development
- A better appreciation for their Corporate Affairs team
Each participant receives recorded activities/interviews on a USB and a Media Essentials workbook to keep.
For more information, email [email protected].com