Managing the Media
1 – 3 people, 4 hours
3 – 4 people, 5 hours
5–6 people, 6 hours
This 1:1 or small-group workshop introduces participants to the basics of dealing with the media. It includes developing their sense of what makes them newsworthy and why, creating strong key messages, answering “nice” questions and dealing with difficult ones. It also touches on planning and strategy, right from the first moment of contact with a journalist.
In addition to hands-on activities and group discussion and critique, participants experience two practice interviews with a professional journalist (confidentiality assured).
By the end of the session participants will have:
- A better nose for identifying story angles and recognising potential threats
- A solid understanding of different interview types
- A step-by-step approach to preparing for interviews
- Experience in creating a “quotable quote”
- Techniques to control interviews with difficult questions
- Observed a journalist processing an interview, giving a deeper understanding of what motivates them
Each participant receives a USB of their practice interviews and a Managing the Media workbook to keep.
For more information, email [email protected]